Wednesday 26 February 2020

Week 6.2 and 7 - Finally Buildings

After about two not as productive weeks I finally completed the building construction. I had to go back and redo some bits, because I found out, that Unreal can't cook the Python Module nodes.

Looks like a building to me

1 - Roofs redone
Since I initially used Python to create the roof meshes I had to go back and redo the setup, but that turned out to be not that complicated. Instead of using a curve and having to pass the point positions into the coordinate parameter, I used VEX to create a polygon and add the points to it.


I used the following node setup to create the roof meshes and moved each into a separate obj node, so I could use them separately, e.g if I don't need one of them.
EDIT: I added an attribute wrangle node to add a material attribute.


2 - Ground Floor Complete
Since the ground Floor was done in a similar way to the mid floors I won't go into much detail about the process. I cleaned up the code for placing the wall tiles slightly and added a new section for adding unique tiles. I limited the number of unique tiles to 1 per building side, just to simplify things, but in theory it would be possible. I even tried it, but it got a bit buggy.
Here is the code for the unique tiles, nothing special.



This could and should probably be optimised.
Just for completeness sake I'll add the code for placing the wall tiles, but it is not any different from the middle floor section.

And finally the full ground floor section in action:


This is basically how far I got over the last couple of days. From here on I will focus on sorting the material IDs first and then move on to removing wall sections and creating LODs.
But again: It's a building !!!

Building Variation
And it even works in Unreal, that's progress.

Building Generator in UE4

No comments:

Post a Comment